Around Montgomery County
Community Food Rescue (CFR) is the coordinated food recovery network for Montgomery County, Maryland. The network enhances the good work of businesses, individuals, and organizations already recovering and redistributing good food to people experiencing hunger. We are in need of Food Runners – Individuals, families and/or groups that transport donated food from the Food Donor to Recipient Organization. Food Runners are a vital part of the CFR network, transporting food donations when recipient organizations may not have the capacity to pick up food donations.
NEW – Home Deliveries
Volunteer food runners are now transporting Food For Families boxes from Manna’s warehouse in Gaithersburg to the homes of our food-insecure neighbors around the county who can’t or shouldn’t travel to distribution centers. We employ minimal contact delivery — food runners pick up at Manna and drop the food outside the door, ring the bell, and go.
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Enroll as a Food Runner using the CFR web application (requires computer and internet access, mobile app.
- A clean vehicle
- Insurance on that vehicle
- A driver’s license and good driving record
- Time—1-3 hours per food run
- Complete a short evaluation after each food run
- Speak, read, and write in English
- Smart phone with texting capabilities
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Training: Will need to learn basic safe food handling and transportation practices and pass a quiz with 80% or better.