Fresh News on Heart Health
Did you know that February has been American Heart Health month since 1964?
You have likely observed that nutrition advice has varied in the decades from then to today, but there are some things that never change. Here are some heart-healthy refrains from our Nutrition Education classes:
- Strive for at least 3 different colored foods at every meal
- Make half your plate veggies, and then fruits
- Move more (walking, dancing, taking the stairs–exercise is free!)
- Drink water, and then drink some more
- Frozen produce is as healthy as fresh, and sometimes much more affordable
We can’t control our genetics, but the great news is that most of the ways to protect our heart are things over which we do have control: stop smoking; sit less; move more; lessen the meats and sweets.
Here are some shots of the open boxes Manna distributed this week. Abundant color is an easy way to spot heart-healthy choices!