Mobile Kitchen & Pop-Up Pantry
Manna Food Center is excited to launch a new component of our food distribution and nutrition education programming. Meet “Manny”, the Manna Mobile Kitchen & Pop-Up Pantry!Click here to download the Manna Mobile Kitchen Community Request Form
- What is Manny? Manny is the nickname of the new Manna Mobile Kitchen & Pop-Up Pantry (MMK). The MMK is a transformed school bus that will act as a cooking classroom for all ages. With Manny, we can bring hands-on cooking education to children, their parents, and seniors. The bus will also be used for targeted food distribution in areas with limited food access.
- Why a Mobile Kitchen? We know from Montgomery County’s Food Security Plan that along with financial barriers, transportation and a lack of food preparation knowledge are common factors in our community that prevent families from eating a healthful diet. 70% of County adults do not meet the recommended number of daily vegetable servings. The MMK is a program designed to tackle two barriers at once by bringing nutritious foods and cooking skills to our community. This school year the MMK will offer educational opportunities to some of the 30,000 elementary school students in the Montgomery County Public Schools eligible for free and reduced meals. Our culinary classroom on wheels is an innovative solution to increase access to nutrition education and nutritious foods in Montgomery County.
- How will Manny be used? The MMK is an extension of Manna’s focus on innovative, participant-centered approaches to eliminating hunger. Programming will encourage increased fruit and vegetable consumption, greater acceptance of new, nutritious foods, and encourage lifelong skills like math and teamwork. The MMK will combine food distribution with nutrition education in a unique and eye-catching way, creating a community space that draws new people into Manna’s community engagement and advocacy activities.
- Where will Manny travel? Our participants often faced transportation barriers to accessing licensed community kitchens where Manna taught classes in the past. We will travel to high-need schools and apartment complexes to teach youth, seniors, and adults at risk of food insecurity.
- When will Manny hit the road? We are excited to announce that, after a successful pilot this summer, Manny is ready to roll! Keep an eye on Manna’s social media for announcements regarding programming and community engagement events near you.
- How can I get involved? As an innovative new program, the Manna Mobile Kitchen depends on generous support from the community to fund outreach and programming. Please consider designating your donation to the MMK here. Interested in lending your cooking and teaching skills to facilitate one of our classes? Limited opportunities are available! Email email@example.com for details.