How to Hold a Food Drive
for Manna in 10 Easy Steps
Thank you for your interest in helping Manna. Your food drive will enable our neighbors at-risk for hunger to get the food they urgently need. Together we can fight hunger and feed hope!
1. Decide when you'd like to hold your drive. Although the holidays are a popular time of year, food is needed year-round. You might consider holding a drive in the spring or summer when supply is especially low. Hosting a themed food drive, such as a kid-friendly collection to benefit Smart Sacks for back-to-school time or a cereal food drive is a great idea.
2. Decide how long to hold your food drive. Will it be one day, a week, or a month? Or perhaps this is an ongoing effort? It's entirely up to you.
3. Do you want to collect food and/or money? We need both! Ninety-four cents of every dollar that is donated to Manna goes directly into programs that provide food for those less fortunate.
4. Create a donation collection container for your group to use to collect money donations.
5. Create posters to advertise your food drive. Be sure to include all the important details: date, time, drop off location and that the food drive will benefit Manna Food Center. You can also let people know about your food drive through email, list serves, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
6. Distribute a preferred food list for people to donate. Manna's wish list of food items can be found here
7. Host your food drive and give it plenty of support.
- Email your co-workers, friends and neighbors to rally support.
- Contact the local papers to let them know about your food drive.
- Put it in local newsletters, bulletins and websites to rally support.
- Set a goal and monitor the progress.
- Hold a contest between departments, classes, troops, etc. to see who can raise the most. Offer incentives for those who contribute the most to your drive.
8. If you collect a large amount of food (more than a minivan will hold) we may be able to arrange for one of our trucks to pick up the donated food. Simply call us at 301-424-1130. Please note that we need several days' lead time - or even a couple of weeks during busy times -- in order to pick up your donation.
9. If you're dropping off the food, you deserve extra thanks. You've saved us additional expenses that we can redirect towards serving our clients. Food can be dropped off Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4 pm at:
Manna Food Center
9311 Gaither Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
301-424-1130 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Just 2 blocks off of Shady Grove
10. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! Your efforts will make a big difference helping feed those less fortunate in our community.